Friday, January 24, 2014

The Secret's In The Telling

Okay, it's time to let the cat out of the bag. Much like my bestie Amy divulged a secret food affair, it's my turn. Only my husband really truly knows the extent of my habit. It's bad.

Cereal.

Go ahead and laugh, but you don't understand. I'm not talking an addiction to Raisin Bran or Special K.... oh no. It's full-blown, sugary and bad for you, designed for kids cereal. And I eat it by the BOWLFUL.


Malt-O-Meal is my brand of choice. Because of the cost, and of course it's actually very good tasting! At Dollar Tree, I can get a 10-12oz bag for only $1. Now, according to the package, a serving is only 3/4cup. 

HAH!!

You have no idea. MY bowls are at least 2 1/2-3c worth. And sometimes I go back for a second bowl.

My breakfasts, instead of being full of protein and lean fats, are instead filled with sugar, calories, and VERY LITTLE PROTEIN. Which is probably why I feel like SHIT after eating even 1 bowl.

2/3c of Chocolate Marshmallow Mateys = 120 calories (of just cereal, not counting milk)
2 1/2c would then equal.... 360 calories (and 4.5g of FAT!!) and only 4g of protein.


If I take the same approach and eat say, a bowl of Maple & Brown Sugar Oatmeal....
1 packet makes about 1 1/4c of oatmeal. and is only 160 calories (but 2g of fat) (BUT 4g of protein)
But, with oatmeal I usually add a whole banana into it.... or a few strawberries..... or even more whole grain oatmeal. AND I DON'T feel like shit afterwards.


Where's the logic? Is sugar addiction a real thing? I'm not going to say yes, because then it would give me an excuse. The excuse I use? Convenience. Yup. I'd rather take 45 seconds to pour a bowl of cereal and milk and be hungry 45 minutes later than to wait 2 minutes while the microwave cooks OR even 1 minute for the water kettle to boil water and have BETTER food.


 Oh yes... I just went there.

So, the first step to overcome addiction is to admit you are powerless over it, right? When I go into Dollar Tree for something (pens, etc)... I ALWAYS find myself coming out with a bag of cereal. More like 2-4 bags actually... depends on how the stock levels at home are.
I have 1 unopened bag and 1 half bag left in my pantry. Believe it or not, that will last me.... MAYBE through Sunday. Oh yes; the bags that say they have 6-9 servings in them are LIARS. Well... when you're ME anyway.

As stupid as this sounds, I'm going to finish those bags before Monday starts. And then I'm done. I can't feel like a bloated sugar-filled alien in the morning. It messes me up. Not to mention my digestive system is angry all the time because it doesn't get good food. I'm hungry an hour later and what does that accomplish?? Nothing.

I am going to start waking up 10 minutes earlier and MAKE myself breakfast. I made french toast the other day with eggs and I enjoyed it! AND I wasn't hungry right away! I know how to cook breakfast.... I just need to get my jabba-ass up and into the kitchen!

So there you have it. I'm ending my affair with cereal. Sure, there will be a day I may feel lazy and want a bowl.... but if I don't keep any in the house, I'm more likely to actually COOK myself something. And that's the plan. No more buying bags at Dollar Tree. 


......Sigh..... I'm going to miss my cereal. :-(

1 comment:

  1. That is the exact reason I don't do cereal....that and the milk in the morning makes my stomach unsettled!

    Why are you waiting until Sunday when the cereal is all gone?

    THROW IT OUT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Or donate it to the food bank, but get it OUT OF THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!

    I heard a saying once that basically said, eating something that is not good for you, just for the sake of eating it and not throwing it out is just as wasteful as tossing it in the garbage. Don't treat yourself like a trash can Julie...you are better than that!

    Would you be tempted to pick it out of the garbage? Do like the celeb's do....pour cleaning supplies over it or do something epic as a final goodbye....like driving over it with your car tire until it is nothing but powder!

    YOU can DO this!

    <3

    ReplyDelete