Thursday, April 11, 2013

I just felt like runn-ning.


"That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run. So, I ran to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd run to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd just run across Greenbow County. And I figured, since I run this far, maybe I'd just run across the great state of Alabama. And that's what I did. I ran clear across Alabama. For no particular reason, I just kept on going. I ran clear to the ocean. And when I got there, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep going. When I got to another ocean, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well just turn back, keep right on going."
-Forrest Gump



This is how I'm taking to running. In Week 4 of this Couch to 5k Program, I feel as though I'm taking steps backward, not forward. It is not getting easier, but I do see results. I can run more easily. I'm less tired, less winded. My HR is flattening out, not spiking when I run.

I was finishing up my run last night when I came home and my Father was in my driveway. I sat down, cooling off and catching my breath, and listened as my Pops told my husband "Just wait till she turns into a fox!!" What a compliment. Some would take that as him saying I wasn't one now, but I took it for what it was, a compliment hidden beneath some encouragement. He didn't ask if it was hard for me to run, didn't make jokes about my baggage flopping about, he simply smiled and said "Good for you!"

Thanks Pops, for the encouragement. Thank you for telling me to just keep running once I got to the mailbox, the end of the road, the turn of the streets. Once I find my ocean, turn around and come back. It's the little markers along the way I have to remember, not my ending location.

1 comment:

  1. Julie, this post gave me goosebumps. It's a great quote and a great thing your dad did. I get it....my dad would say something sarcastic or funny, but coming from him, it would be encouragement.

    I trust that it will get easier. I said before, when I was doing it, I got stuck on week 3. It was hard!!! I failed the first night and cried because I failed. The next night I did it....barely. The third time wasn't any easier. I decided to repeat the week. By the end of the week, it still wasn't easier.....that last run was DREADFUL!!! Think hippo gasping for air. I decided that I would keep doing week 3 until it was easy. What if it never got easy? I was ok with that...because never...NEVER, in my life had I run for a 3 minute stretch. That on it's own was an accomplishment.

    You are doing fantastic. I am so proud of you and wish I could keep pace with you right now.

    I'm clapping and waving all the way from snowy Canada! :-)

    ReplyDelete