Monday, September 3, 2012

School's In For The Fall..

Okay, so, it's finally that time of year again, and the fall semester has started for college! Yay! Well, mostly yay.

After a long hiatus from school, due to Malaya's and my weddings last year, and just overall need-to-get-my-life-in-line, I decided that I was going to try and take one class on campus, and then my normal one online class.

This semester I have Fundamentals of Speech, on Wednesday nights from 5:30-8:10. And my online class is Composition II. These are both required pre-requisites, so there was no way of avoiding them any longer.

The CompII class will be easy, yet challenging. I already am strong with written essays and other requirements of a writing-intensive class, the only thing will be for me to make time to make sure I have everything I need done each week. I'm overall not worried about this class.

The speech class is a whole other story. Firstly, my speech professor, who should be this boisterously outgoing person, had his hands in his pockets the entire time he make his opening speech about the course syllabus and all that. Seriously?!?! What kind of example are you setting if you are not grabbing the reigns of speaking properly?!

I can get over this fact. The next thing that has bothered me is his agenda. This is some guy who is passionate about sustainable energy and ways we can effectively create and use these methods not only on campus, but also in our own lives as well. Now, don't get me wrong, I do wish we could ease up our dependence on all these bad energy sources, and use something good like the wind or the sun, however, I don't think a college class is the appropriate platform to push your agenda!!

One of our required speeches will be for us to come up with a way to make our college just a little more "green", and to present our speech to the class. This guy is just feeding off of our brilliance to make himself look better!!

We were assigned groups for this project, and it will be our last speech of the year, so we're being given plenty of time to prepare... however, I just don't believe he should be pushing his agenda off on us. What if he takes our speech/project, and presents it? Even if he does give us credit, no one is going to remember that! We'll just be the name written on the report, not the person getting patted on the back for an awesome job.

Oh well. I can't change class now, and my group is actually a decent one, I'm happy that I got put into one that has drive to get the project started and started early.

1 comment:

  1. How did I miss this post?

    It's like a 2 for 1 day for me now!!

    ReplyDelete